Rehab Thursday: The Birddog
Yes I said the birddog!
Why perform this exercise:
This is a stability exercise that trains your glutes, lower back, abdominals, and hip muscles.
Who can benefit: Poor posture, lower back pain, hip pain, sedentary sitting workers, etc
How to perform this exercise:
- Start on your hands and knees with your palms flat on the floor. Your knees should be hip-width and bent at 90 degrees.
- Brace your abs, and raise your right leg making sure not to sway or shift your body weight (use only your leg). A sign of weakness is when you are unable to lift your leg without shifting your body weight onto the stationary hip.
- Once you’ve achieved your balance, raise your opposite arm (left arm) until in line with your body. Hold for approx. 3-5seconds.
- Return to the starting position.
- Brace your abdominals and lift your left leg now.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4.